Virginia Tech®home

Transitional Advising (Internal Transfers)

Students not currently enrolled in the College of Engineering should follow the below steps to learn more about the internal transfer process.

Step 1: Review the Engineering Change of Major Requirements and Change of Major Video.

Step 2: Register for and attend an Engineering Change of Major Workshop for Internal Transfers. *Pre-registration is required, see below to register*

Step 3: Submit a change of major application during one of the change of major application timelines:
To declare a primary engineering major: Change of Major Application in Hokie Spa
To add a secondary engineering major: College of Engineering Secondary Major Application

Step 4: For additional questions about the engineering change of major process, schedule an appointment with University Transitional Advising.

Engineering Change of Major Workshop for Internal Transfers

All workshops will be held virtually via Zoom. Please use the links below to Sign-Up for the date and time you would like to attend, once you sign-up you will receive the Zoom link for the meeting.

Tuesday, August 23, 2022
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Monday, September 19, 2022
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Tuesday, October 18, 2022
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Monday, November 14, 2022
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Thursday, December 8, 2022
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM

COE Internal Transfer Frequently Asked Questions

When can I apply to an engineering major?
Students can apply to an engineering major when they complete all of the engineering change of major course requirements, have a minimum 2.0 overall VT GPA, and have earned at least 12 GPA hours at Virginia Tech. Applications are accepted at the end of spring, end of summer, and end of fall. Additional details can be located at You can also run a What-If DARS to determine if the change of major course requirements are complete. Select 'GE Change of Major' after choosing 'Select a Different Program'.

Is there a GPA guarantee for internal transfer applicants?
Yes, internal transfer applicants to the College of Engineering have an overall VT GPA guarantee of a 3.5 (with the exception of Biomedical Engineering, which does not offer a GPA guarantee). Admission for students not meeting the guarantee criteria, and all applicants to Biomedical Engineering will be determined based on space availability and student demand for each major.

When can I take ENGE 1215?
In the summer II and fall terms, ENGE 1215 is restricted to only students in the college of engineering. Students outside the college of engineering can take ENGE 1215 in the winter, spring, or summer I terms.

How do I become eligible to take MATH 1225?
Review the information to qualify for MATH 1225 here. If you are eligible to enroll in MATH 1225 and are unable to add the course due to a major restriction, you can add your name to the math force-add survey located here.

How do I become eligible to take CHEM 1035?
Review the information to qualify for CHEM 1035 here. If you are eligible to enroll in CHEM 1035 and are unable to add the course due to a major restriction, you can add your name to the chemistry force-add survey located here.

Will transfer credits impact the change of major decision?
No, the college of engineering is only reviewing for completion of the courses, where you complete them does not impact the decision. However, you must be sure to either have the transer credit awarded on Hokie Spa, or submit proof of transfer credit when you complete the application to declare an engineering major.

How do I transfer credits to VT for the change of major process?
First you will need to obtain pre-approval for the transfer course through your current academic college. You can reach out to your current academic advisor for assistance with this process. Once you complete the equivalent course and earn a minimum grade of a C, you will send your official transcript to Office of the University Registrar, Student Services Building, Suite 250, Virginia Tech, 800 Washington St, S.W.,Blacksburg, VA 24060-0134. When you apply to change your major, if your transfer credits have not been officially awarded on Hokie Spa, upload an unofficial transcript to this website

Can I take change of major courses pass/fail?
No, any specific course listed on the graduation requirements for an engineering degree must be completed on an A-F grading scale. 

When can I take major restricted courses?
Internal transfer students will be able to add major-restrcited courses after their major has been officially changed.