Engineering Computer Requirement
For Summer/Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 Entering Engineering Students
Latest Update: 6/5/2023
MacBooks are not recommended and are not guaranteed to run engineering software bundles. Students are responsible for academic consequences of deviation from the requirement. More Info
The University Bookstore website is not up to date with our requirement. If you choose to purchase from the bookstore call them by phone or drop by in person.
|Minimum Requirement||Recommendation (Optional)|
|OS:||Windows 11 (64bit)
(MacOS and Chrome OS not supported)
|Processor:||Intel 12th Gen i5 or i7
AMD Ryzen 5 or 7 6000 Series
|Intel 13th Gen i7
AMD Ryzen 7 7000 Series
|Memory:||16 GB RAM||16+ GB RAM|
|Storage (SSD)||500 GB or larger Solid State Drive (SSD)
||1 TB or larger Solid State Drive (SSD)|
|Warranty:||3 Year w/accident protection||4 Year w/accident protection|
|Input Tool:||Integrated Active Stylus (Wacom or N-trig)
|Graphics Card:||Discrete/dedicated (such as NVIDIA or AMD)|
|Video Conferencing Tools:||Functional Mic, Speakers, & Camera||Headset with mic|
- Computer: A laptop or 2-in-1 tablet with specifications meeting the minimum requirement -- see chart above.
- Wireless: required
- Warranty: 3 years onsite with accidental damage coverage (4 years recommended).
- Software: University Undergraduate bundle and Engineering Software Bundle.
- Backup: It is imperative that you back up your work. Backup space is provided for all VT students on Microsoft O365 and Google Drive.
- 2-Factor Authentication Devices: All VT users will be asked for a secondary confirmation of their identity at log-in, using a device in their possession, such as a smartphone or security token. More information
This requirement deﬁnes the minimum computing platform necessary for use during the four-year undergraduate academic cycle in the College of Engineering. The recommendations are optional speciﬁcations that can be mixed and matched to provide an improved computing experience.
Do you still have questions?
If you need more immediate assistance, please email our Instructional Technology Office or call 540-231-9076.