For Summer/Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 Entering Students
- Computer: A laptop or 2-in-1 tablet with specifications meeting the minimum requirement--see chart below
- Warranty: 3 Year onsite with accidental damage coverage (recommend 4 years) or ability to purchase a new computer immediately if it breaks.
- Software: University Undergraduate Bundle and Engineering Software Bundles
- Backup: Any backup solution acceptable. Unlimited space is provided for all students at VT on Google Drive
- 2 Factor Authentication Devices: All VT users will be asked for a secondary confirmation of their identity at log-in, using a device in their possession, such as a smartphone or security token. More information
This requirement deﬁnes the minimum computing platform necessary for use during the four-year academic cycle in the College of Engineering. The recommendations are optional speciﬁcations that can be mixed and matched to provide an improved computing experience.
|OS:||Windows 10, 64 Bit||Windows 10, 64 Bit|
|Processor:||Intel 7th Gen i5 or i7||Intel 8th Gen i7|
|Memory:||16 GB RAM||16 GB RAM|
|Hard Drive:||250 GB or larger Solid State Drive (SSD)||500 GB or larger Solid State Drive (SSD)|
|Wireless:||802.11 a/c dual band||802.11 a/c dual band|
|Warranty:||3 Year w/accident protection||4 Year w/accident protection|
|Input Tool:||Integrated Active Stylus (Wacom or N-trig)
Possible tablet options
Apple MacBooks are acceptable if it meets all of the same requirements as a Windows system. More information about bringing an Apple MacBook.
All entering and transfer engineering students are required to purchase both the University undergraduate software bundle and the Engineering software bundle. Purchasing copies of the software from outside the university cannot be substituted as part of the bundle. More information about the Software Requirement.
Do you still have questions?
Please email our Instructional Technology Office or call 540-231-9076.