For Summer/Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 Entering Students
The minimum system requirements are designed to ensure success through the student's undergraduate program of study. Systems that do not meet the minimum requirements may be slower or may not run more advanced software used in some courses and disciplines.
|OS:||Windows 10, 64 Bit||Windows 10, 64 Bit|
|Processor:||Intel 8th Gen i5 or i7||Intel 9th Gen i7|
|Memory:||16 GB RAM||16 GB RAM|
|Hard Drive:||500 GB or larger Solid State Drive (SSD)
||500 GB or larger Solid State Drive (SSD)|
|Warranty:||3 Year w/accident protection||4 Year w/accident protection|
|Input Tool:||Integrated Active Stylus (Wacom or N-trig)
Possible tablet options
|Graphics Card:||Discrete/dedicated (such as NVIDIA or AMD)|
- Computer: A laptop or 2-in-1 tablet with specifications meeting the minimum requirement--see chart above
- Wireless: All laptops or desktops must have wireless network and internet capabilities
- Warranty: 3 Year onsite with accidental damage coverage (recommend 4 years) or ability to purchase a new computer immediately if it breaks.
- Software: University Undergraduate Bundle and Engineering Software Bundles
- Backup: Any backup solution acceptable. Unlimited space is provided for all students at VT on Google Drive
- 2 Factor Authentication Devices: All VT users will be asked for a secondary confirmation of their identity at log-in, using a device in their possession, such as a smartphone or security token. More information
This requirement deﬁnes the minimum computing platform necessary for use during the four-year academic cycle in the College of Engineering. The recommendations are optional speciﬁcations that can be mixed and matched to provide an improved computing experience.
Apple MacBooks are acceptable and must meet the same hardware requirements as a Windows system, with 16 GB of RAM, 500 GB SSD, and the latest processor. These hardware requirements are necessary because you will need to install Bootcamp and run software under the Windows operating system. More information about bringing an Apple MacBook.
All entering and transfer engineering students are required to purchase both the University undergraduate software bundle and the Engineering software bundle. Purchasing copies of the software from outside the university cannot be substituted as part of the bundle. More information about the Software Requirement.
Do you still have questions?
Please email our Instructional Technology Office or call 540-231-9076.