The College of Engineering hosts several minor programs of study for undergraduate students.
Minors Within the College of Engineering
A minor is a group of courses, fewer than the number required for a major, for students to take who wish to develop expertise or pursue an interest in some subject in addition to their major. Minors are optional. Checksheets (or a list of all required courses) for all minors offered at the university can be found on the Registrar's website. The College of Engineering minors and requirements to declare each minor are listed below.
Adding a Minor
To officially add a minor, students must complete the COE Minor Application during the application dates listed below.
End of Spring 2023 Dates
- Applications Accepted: May 4, 2023 - May 19, 2023
- Decision Notification Sent: May 22, 2023 -- students with concerns about the impact on summer enrollment can email email@example.com to request an earlier review.
End of Summer 2023 Dates
- Applications Accepted: July 31, 2023 - August 11, 2023
- Decision Notification Sent: August 16, 2023
End of Fall 2023 Dates
- Applications Accepted: December 11, 2023 - January 5, 2024
- Decision Notification Sent: January 8, 2024.
Dropping a Minor
To drop an engineering minor, students should email firstname.lastname@example.org at any time with the request. To drop a minor outside the College of Engineering, contact the college housing the minor.
Restricted Engineering Minors
Requirements: 1) Enrolled in a degree-granting major; 2) Completed one of the following CS courses at Virginia Tech with a minimum grade of a C: CS 2114 (ECE 2574 and ECE 3514 can be substituted) or CS 2505 (ECE 2564 can be substituted)
Contact: Amy Jordan