Virginia Tech® home

Declaring a Non-Engineering Major or Minor

The university accepts change of major applications three times per year (end of fall, end of spring, end of summer). Students can view the specific dates here.

There are two types of majors at Virginia Tech, restricted and non-restricted. Restricted majors have specific criteria students must meet to be eligible to declare. Please review the restricted majors website for a complete list of restricted majors and their criteria.

Declaring a Non-Engineering Major or Minor:


Step 1: Attend an information session or schedule an appointment with a transitional advisor.
Step 2: Submit a change of major application

  1. To declare a primary major: Change of Major Application on Hokie Spa
  2. To add a secondary major: Change of Major/Minor Form (appropriate form can be located using the links on the right)