Virginia Tech®home

Frequently Asked Questions

Commonly asked questions and answers about engineering orientation can be located below to support you as you begin your academic journey in the College of Engineering at Virginia Tech

  1. What is my current major?
    All students admitted to the College of Engineering (COE) are classified as "General Engineering".

  2. Why is my major general engineering (GE)?
    The general engineering program allows you to successfully transition to a degree-granting engineering major at Virginia Tech by providing an environment focused on building community through common coursework, a dedicated design space, engaging faculty, and professional academic advisors. Research in engineering education shows that you are more likely to be successful with a foundation that allows you to develop a sense of community and strengthen motivation for success in the field.

  3. What are the requirements to change into a degree-granting engineering major?
    To change into a degree-granting major from general engineering, you must complete the course requirements, earn 12 minimum GPA hours at Virginia Tech, meet the 2.0 minimum overall Virginia Tech GPA, and have a 3.0 overall Virginia Tech GPA to be guaranteed your first choice major (exceptions apply).  For complete details, including the course requirements review, visit our Change of Major website. COE transfer students admitted to the 2022-2023 academic year will qualify for the Direct Admit Transfer Student Pilot.

  4. What should I do to get started as an engineering student at Virginia Tech?
    Complete all items listed on the Engineering Orientation Checklist.

  5. Is University Orientation mandatory for the College of Engineering?
    Yes, all students are required to register for and attend new student orientation. You will receive an email invitation with a link to register for New Student Orientation. If you have questions about the university orientation, review the New Student and Family Programs website or email New Student and Family Programs at

  6. Is Engineering Orientation - Virtual Academic Advising and Course Registration mandatory for the College of Engineering?
    Yes, all students are required to register for and attend a virtual Engineering Orientation session. If you have questions about engineering orientation, review the Engineering Orientation website or email the Engineering Academic Affairs Office at

  7. What courses will I take as an engineering student at Virginia Tech?
    View each major’s requirements using the checksheets on the University Registrar's website. Graduation requirements for new students will be available in July.

  8. What computer and additional supplies are required or recommended for engineering students?
    Review the Engineering Computer Requirement and Additional Supplies website.

  9. How do I register for classes at Virginia Tech?
    After you virtually work with an academic advisor through the engineering orientation process, you will finalize your class schedule. 

  10. Do I need to complete placement exams?
    Yes, you will need to complete the ALEKS placement assessment for MATH 1225 and CHEM 1035/1045 eligibility.

  11. What is the engineering foreign language requirement?
    Engineering students must have completed 2 years of a single foreign language in high school or one year at the college level (6 credit hours) of the same language. 

  12. I have expected AP, IB, CLEP, Cambridge Credits, where do I send the scores?
    All score reports should be sent to the Office of University Registrar using the Virginia Tech school code 5859.

  13. I have expected Dual Enrollment/Transfer Credits, where do I send my transcripts?
    All transcripts should be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions through electronic transfer (i.e., Parchment) or through mail to the below address:

    Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Virginia Tech
    925 Prices Fork Road
    Blacksburg, VA 24061

  14. How will my expected AP, IB, CLEP, Cambridge, dual/transfer credits transfer?
    Complete a Self Evaluation of Transfer Credits to understand how prior credit may transfer to Virginia Tech.

  15. How do I know that Virginia Tech has received my expected AP, IB, CLEP, Cambridge, or dual/transfer credits?
    Continually verify receipt of AB, IB, CLEP, Cambridge, and additional transfer credits on Hokie Spa > Hokie Spa > Grades Menu > Transfer and Other Additional Credits.

  16. Are there any additional scholarships available for newly admitted Engineering students in the College of Engineering?
    All scholarships for new students have been awarded. The engineering scholarship application for the next academic year will be available in January.

  17. What type of academic and personal support is available for me?
    Commonly used academic and personal support resources can be found on our Resources and Support website.