Engineering Orientation Checklist
After accepting your offer of admission to VT, please complete all items on this checklist. We know you are looking forward to registering for your first semester of classes and we are excited to help you through this process.
University New Student Checklist
- Create your VT Username (PID)
- Enroll in 2-factor authentication with duo
- Download the Duo Mobile app on your personal smartphone and enroll the device
- Access, read, and use your VT Gmail daily
- Add your VT email to your personal device (i.e., smartphone)
- Sign up for orientation - you will receive an email invitation with a link to register for New Student Orientation after you accept your offer of admission.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if you wish to apply for financial aid
- Complete and submit the immunization history form
- Complete and submit the housing/dining contract (requirement for first-year students)
Priority Engineering Orientation Checklist Items
- Complete the Engineering Pre-Orientation Form
You must be logged into your Virginia Tech google account to complete the form. If you receive the following message "You need permission" you will need to sign out of your non-VT Gmail account and log into your VT Gmail account at myaccount.google.com.
- Complete the ALEKS placement assessment for MATH 1225 and CHEM 1035/1045 eligibility: Deadline - June 13 (to be guaranteed a seat in MATH 1225 and CHEM 1035)
All first-year students should complete the ALEKS assessment, regardless of anticipated AP, IB, CLEP, Cambridge, or other transfer credit for math.
- Send all official high school, college, and university transcripts
All transcripts should be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions through electronic transfer (i.e., Parchment) or through mail to the below address:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Virginia Tech
925 Prices Fork Road
Blacksburg, VA 24061
- Send all years of official scores reports for AP, IB, CLEP, etc
All score reports should be sent to the Office of University Registrar using the Virginia Tech school code 5859.
- Complete a self-evaluation of transfer credits
Additional Engineering Orientation Checklist Items
- Continually verify receipt of AB, IB, CLEP, Cambridge, and additional transfer credits on Hokie Spa
Hokie Spa > Grades Menu > Transfer and Other Additional Credits
- Complete the Gallup CliftonStrengths assessment
- Purchase a computer that meets the engineering computer requirement
- Review/purchase the items on the engineering supplies
- Review the graduation requirements (checksheets)
- Review the engineering orientation frequently asked questions
- Bookmark and review the Engineering Undergraduate Program website
- Connect with us on social media
- Complete the SEC First-Year Orientation Assignment
- Register for classes using Hokie Spa (June 13-August 26) - you can choose between Hokie Scheduler and Drop/Add for course registration, the Timetable of Classes is not a registration tool but can be useful to search for courses.
- Review the 2022-2023 Academic Calendar - the first day of classes is Monday, August 22, 2022.
- Mark your calendar to attend the College of Engineering College Day on Friday, August 19 from 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM (this will include a college presentation, academic preparation, lunch, and a social).