Transferring into the College of Engineering
Applying to Virginia Tech from another college or university is an easy and simple process.
Minimum Requirements for Admission as a Transfer Student to Virginia Tech's College of Engineering
- 1 full year of calculus (equivalent to VT's MATH 1225-1226)
- 1 semester of chemistry (CHEM 1035/1045) or 1 year of calculus-based Physics (PHYS 2305-2306)
- 1 full year of English composition (equivalent to VT's ENGL 1105-1106)
- overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
Additional Course Recommendations
- Linear Algebra (MATH 1114 or 2114, depending on specific desired engineering major. See checksheet link below to determine the required course for your desired major)
- Differential Equations (MATH 2214)
- Multivariable Calculus (MATH 2224 or 2204)
- 1 year of calculus-based Physics (PHYS 2305-2306) or 1 semester of chemistry (CHEM 1035/1045)—whichever is not completed in requirement above
- Engineering fundamentals courses (ENGE 1215-1216)
Transfer students are admitted to General Engineering (GE) by the admissions office. The process of changing majors from GE to a specific engineering major typically takes one semester.