The GEER office provides resources to faculty to support international programs, research and partnerships. Resources available include:
- Registering International Travel
- Initiating Collaboration with an International Partner
- Hosting an International Visitor
- Joining the Academy for Global Engineering
- Developing Faculty-led International Programs for Students
- Finding Financial Support
Please contact Dr. Nicole Sanderlin (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Traveling abroad for work or study? Register here before you go
Virginia Tech requires all university-supported travelers — including students, faculty, and staff — to register their international travel prior to departure to ensure financial approval, credit transfer authorization, safety tracking, and export control support. For VT faculty and staff:
- Register your travel by submitting a Pre-Approval in Chrome River (see the Controller’s International Travel website for details).
- Taking students with you (conference, business meeting, etc.)? Connect them with your department's Fiscal Technician for assistance with their Pre-Approval in Chrome River.
- Leading a group of students abroad? Follow these program proposal procedures:
- Review the Global Education Travel Preparation Guidlines
Initiating a Collaboration with an International Partner
The College has a process for initiating new partnerships and agreements, which requires that the initiating faculty member Proposes a new agreement. With this information, our office will draft and finalize the agreement in collaboration with the proposed partner institution, and submit it for review and approval.
Hosting an International Visitor
- Review the instructions for different types of visitors at the Office of Global Strategic Services (GSS) before issuing any invitation.
- To host a Short-term Visitor or delegation to campus, please visit: Short-Term Visitors to Campus
- To host a J-1 Exchange Visitor for research, teaching, consulting, or internships, please visit: J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. Host departments can now submit J-1 application requests online through the IntlHokies portal.
- If you are hosting a delegation involving the president/provost of another university, or a visit involving more than one department or college at VT, please complete a Proposal to Host an International Delegation
Joining the Academy for Global Engineering
Faculty can join this community of research and practice and gain access to resources for grant incubation, program development, and program assessment.
Developing Faculty-led International Programs for Students
- Contact the Global Education Office to learn how to propose a faculty-led, for-credit study abroad program.
- Contact VT Engage for non-credit faculty-led trips.
Finding Financial Support
Federal Government Grants
- National Science Foundation Office of International Science and Engineering (OISE)
- Fulbright Scholar Program
- Fulbright Distinguished Scholar Awards
- Fulbright Postdoctoral Awards
- U.S. Department of State Professional Science & Engineering Society Fellows Programs: