Student International Research Experiences
Consider an opportunity to do research abroad! International research experiences offer you the opportunity to grow as an engineer and increase your global awareness. Apply your engineering skills in a practical way and build skills in business and cultural relations.
- Talk with your academic advisor
- Ask your engineering department for information about opportunities to do research abroad
- Take a look at Virginia Tech Global Engineering programs funded through National Science Foundation grants for International Research Experiences for Students (IRES).
- Undergraduate research, scholarship, and creative inquiry is fundamentally a pedagogical approach to teaching and learning. With an emphasis on process, the Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) defines undergraduate research as: A mentored investigation or creative inquiry conducted by undergraduates that seeks to make a scholarly or artistic contribution to knowledge. (CUR, 2021) VT’s Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) promotes, enhances, and expands undergraduate research opportunities at Virginia Tech. Learn about the Undergraduate Research opportunities here.
- Contact the Office of Undergraduate Research
Funding for research
- Fulbright Program - The Fulbright Program, including the Fulbright–Hays Program, is one of several United States Cultural Exchange Programs with the goal to improve intercultural relations, cultural diplomacy, and intercultural competence between the American people of the United States and other countries through the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills.
- Ask your department about scholarship funds and take a look at the Study Abroad Scholarships page.
Before going abroad
Any student traveling internationally must fill out the Virginia Tech Global Travel Assessment. This form can be requested by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.