The sites linked here provide information about different cultures and countries, tips for intercultural communication, and information on adjustment. Learning as much as you can about a country and its culture before arriving will help you know what you will encounter and help you understand interactions that take place.
Communicating and Adapting:
This article discusses stages of adjustment that people tend to go through when living in another culture. Fully adapting to living in another culture tends to take about six months. People differ in how long they stay in each stage and the depth of their feelings at each stage. However, knowledge is understanding. If you know the stages you can more easily understand and accept the feelings you may have while you are overseas.
Country and City Specific Information:
- Country Profiles - Global Guide to Culture, Customs and Etiquette
- Culture Crossing Guide (cross cultural etiquette and understanding)
- Country Comparison (Geert Hofstede)
- Cultural Advice (for selected countries)
- Tips for Cities Around the World: Pick a city then scroll down to the trip planner and click on Cultural Tips
- World Culture Encyclopedia: Be aware that the sources used for the articles may be outdated
- Executive Planet: provides valuable tips on business etiquette, customs and protocol for doing business worldwide