STEM Bridge Program
Virginia Space Grant Consortium
STEM Bridge Program 2021-2022 Overview
Virginia Space Grant Consortium (VSGC) provides STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Bridge Scholarships of $1,000 to those students who will be a sophomore this coming fall. A major goal of the VSGC is to help produce the engineers and scientists of the future and diversify the STEM workforce. VSGC created the STEM Bridge Scholarship program to help meet this goal. VSGC will award 25 new awards to students, five at each member institution in the 2021 – 2022 academic year, Virginia Tech being one of them.
Virginia Tech application due March 5th
This scholarship aims to:
- Connect students to STEM opportunities, internships, and scholarships offered by VSGC and NASA
- Foster participation in research by preparing students for success and bridging them to future STEM opportunities
- Retain students in STEM through mentoring and support
- Diversify the pool of applicants to the VSGC Undergraduate Research Scholarship program
- Provide $1,000 in scholarship support
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student
- Must have completed at least one year of an undergraduate program and be classified as a sophomore during the 2021-2022 academic year. Students who are completing the first course sequence in their major are eligible, even if they have academic standing higher than sophomore year
- Must have a grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Must be in a STEM major and demonstrate an interest in STEM and in supporting NASA’s mission
Students who are members of a federally recognized minority are strongly encouraged to apply.
STEM Bridge Scholar Deliverables
- Attend both fall and spring webinar with VSGC Scholarship Coordinator and mentors
- Conduct online research about NASA’s current missions or planned missions
- Interview a current faculty member who teaches and conducts research in an area of interest to both the scholar and NASA
- Submit a complete application for an internship through the NASA’s Internships and Fellowships program (NIF) and the Commonwealth STEM Industry Internship Program (CSIIP)
- Attend VSGC annual Student Research Conference and Luncheon in the Spring
For more information about the scholarship, please visit https://vsgc.odu.edu/stembridge/.