Dominion Virginia Power is a subsidiary of Dominion (NYSE: D), one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy with operations in 14 states. Dominion has a portfolio of approximately 20,400 megawatts of generation and 6,455 miles of electric transmission lines, and operates one of the nation's largest natural gas storage systems with 928 billion cubic feet of storage capacity and serves utility and retail energy customers in 13 states.
- Clean energy technology with specific focus on natural gas optimization, liquefaction and distribution
- Wind energy development focusing on it variability and environmental consequences
- Solar energy
- Sustainable nuclear power generation stressing safety, environmental stewardship and alternative applications
- Smart-grid technology including grid integration of renewables
- Domestic energy security and emergency response
- Department: Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Hometown: Madrid, Spain
- What are your research interests? I am interested in furthering the research in wide-bandgap semiconductors (WBG) and their integration into grids, focusing on using WBG-based inverters to increase the efficiency of alternative energy sources.
- How will this award aid you in your research and high education interests? This fellowship will aid me to focus on my research in order to help improve power distribution in the United States.
- Hometown: Lorton, VA
- What are your research interests? Renewable Energy
- How will this award aid you in your research and higher education interests? This fellowship will help me dive into my research interests without being bounded by a specific project.
Renzo La Rosa
- Department: Mechanical Engineering
- Hometown: Avon, IN
- What are your research interests? Studying the effects of foreign object debris (FOD) in the gas turbine engine hot gas path.
- How will this award aid you in your research and higher education interests? This fellowship brings much needed aid to pursue my graduate degree at a prestigious institution such as Virginia Tech. In addition, the financial help will result in making sure that I am focused on my research at the Advanced Power and Propulsion Laboratory (APPL).