Undergraduate Engineering Commencement Information
College of Engineering Undergraduate Commencement Ceremonies
Saturday, May 13, 2023 – Lane Stadium
3:30 p.m. College of Engineering
- Aerospace and Ocean Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics
- Myers-Lawson School of Construction (Building Construction and Construction Engineering and Management)
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
7:00 p.m. College of Engineering
- Biological Systems Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mining and Minerals Engineering
A. Commencement ceremonies will follow current Virginia Tech public health protocols. See the Virginia Tech Public Health Information site for the latest information.
B. General information on the University Spring Commencement activities can be found on the Virginia Tech Commencement 2023 website.
C. No rehearsals will be held for graduation candidates for either of the two College ceremonies or University ceremonies.
D. University Commencement Ceremony will begin at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, May 12, in Lane Stadium. Gates to Lane Stadium will open at 7 a.m. on Friday, May 12, for the University Commencement. Gates 2, 3, and 4 will be open for guests. Students should enter through the northwest tunnel. There will be no processional for candidates for graduation. Please report directly to an open seat. Academic apparel is required for all participants. The University ceremony is expected to last approximately two hours. No tickets are needed for guests as there is no limit on number of guests.
1. Hazardous Weather - Ceremonies are rain or shine. Please dress appropriately, but regalia is still required. In the event of hazardous weather, the university will communicate any decisions through email, the commencement page, the university homepage, the Hokie Ready App, and on official social media channels.
2. Security - Family members and guests are urged to arrive at least one hour prior to the beginning of the university ceremony. Security procedures will be in place, and packages, bags, purses, etc., will be subject to search. Please avoid bringing unnecessary items with you.
E. College of Engineering Undergraduate Commencement Ceremonies will begin promptly at 3:30 p.m. or 7:00 p.m. (see maps below for split of majors per ceremony) on May 13. No tickets are needed for guests as there is no limit on number of guests. Each college ceremony is expected to last approximately two hours.
1. Guest Parking and Seating - Parking is available in the following lots: Stadium Lot/Lot 2, Maintenance Lot/Lot 3, or Chicken Hill Lot/Lot 5; parking in any other lots will require the posted parking permit. All guests should enter through Gates 2, 3, and 4. All graduates should request their guests to be seated in Lane Stadium by 3:00 p.m. or 6:30 p.m. respectively. Seating is general seating.
2. Guests will not be allowed into the stadium until one hour prior to each ceremony. Review Prohibited/Permitted item list and note, clear bag policy is in effect. No wrapped gifts will be allowed into stadium.
a. Guests with special mobility needs - Parking is available in the following lots: Stadium Lot (pass required for mobility impaired spaces)
i. Arrival Location: Gate 2 (elevator access)
ii. Information about requesting ADA accommodations
iii. SSD Office is responsible for assisting students/graduates with accommodation needs.
iv. Interpreters will be present at University Commencement and the Graduate School Commencement ceremonies; interpreters will be provided for college ceremonies when requested 10 days in advance of the ceremony.
v. Two weeks prior to the commencement ceremony, “preferred parking” parking passes for individuals with limited mobility will be available for pickup at 310 Lavery Hall above the Turner Place dining facility. Please contact SSD for preferred parking passes.
vi. Individuals with DMV-issued accessible hang tags or license plates do not need a preferred parking pass to park in the Stadium lot/Lot 2 during commencement.
vii. ADA seating will be in the East Stands, and guests will enter through Gate 2 (elevator access).
b. For University Commencement, ADA seating will likely be limited to the individual needing assistance plus one additional guest.
c. Students or guests requiring special assistance due to disabilities should contact in advance the office of Services for Students with Disabilities, 310 Lavery Hall, 540-231-3788, Monday-Friday, between 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., TYY 231-1740.
3. Student Seating
a. All candidates should enter Lane Stadium South West Tunnel (located near the corner of Beamer Way and Stadium Lot/Lot 2, between gates 2 and 3) no earlier than 1 hour prior to their ceremony start time, and be seated no later than 30 minutes prior to their ceremony start time. Students arriving later than 15 minutes after the ceremony begins will not be permitted to enter the ceremony. When graduates arrive, they need to have their regalia unzipped for security, and graduates are encouraged to bring a factory-sealed bottle of water. Review Prohibited/Permitted item list and note, clear bag policy is in effect.
b. Students will fill out cards with their name and pronunciation upon arrival. When the students approach the stage, they will hand their card to a volunteer or to the name reader.
c. There will be no processional for candidates for graduation. Please report directly to your seat.
d. Candidates for graduation will be seated by department, according to the seating map below. A marshal from the candidate’s department will assist the candidate in locating the department’s seating area.
e. All candidates will walk across stage as their name is called within their department. A listing of graduates will be available online only (no printed copies will be distributed). Please check the commencement website for this list by mid-May. The names of some graduates may not appear in this listing, as any student whose entire record is marked confidential will not have his/her name listed. Please note, this publication is not an official listing of graduates.
f. Photographs - A professional photographer will take photographs of the graduates. (No other photographers will be allowed on the field.) Five to seven days after graduation, graduates will receive a free passport-sized, full-color proof in the mail with instructions on how to order more prints. The company in charge of photography is GradImages. They can be contacted at 1-800-261-2576, by email, or by logging onto their website. Please note: if you have specified that your address on the VT website be confidential, GradImages will not be able to send you your proof. It will be your responsibility to contact them directly and give them your information.
g. Recessional – Students will be dismissed by row at the end of the ceremony.
h. Additional Information - Commencement Information Hotline: 540-231-3208
4. Security - Please limit carry-in items to a minimum. All bags and packages will be subject to search. No wrapped gifts allowed. No plastic horns. No noisemakers. No beach balls.