Apply for Galileo & Hypatia
Fall 2022 Applications Now Open
How to Apply
Any first year student who has been accepted to the College of Engineering may apply to our communities.
How do I get to the application?
Be sure you have already accepted your admissions offer and follow these steps:
- Once you accept your admissions offer please wait 72 business hours for you to receive access to the Housing portal. After you have received access to the Housing portal complete the steps below.
- Go to the Living and Learning Communities housing website.
- Read through the instructions and information. When you are ready to apply go to the StarRez portal link provided and walk through the steps of completing your housing contract. The application for the Galileo and Hypatia communities will be available after you complete this step.
- You will need your PID and password to apply. So have that info ready
- Fill out your information and complete all essays and other questions. Reviewers will not review an incomplete application so make sure you have answered everything!
We recommend this be written in a Word document and have someone review your work before submission. You may copy and paste the essay into the on-line application.
The essay question has a required length of 300-500 words. If it is shorter than 300 words or longer than 500 words, your application will be denied.
We highly recommend you read through the webpages explaining the course, mentoring, etc before you write your essay. Another great place for info on the community is our student run website that includes some common FAQ responses.
- "Why do you want to be part of Hypatia/Galileo? Briefly explain how you bring a unique perspective, background, or set of experiences to our community. In your answer, please include how you believe you will benefit from or contribute to diversity in the Hypatia/Galileo community."
What is Next?
- Application review begins in late January through May or until the communities are full.
- Decisions are made on a rolling basis. Each Monday at 8 am new applications are pulled for review. Decisions for those applications are sent out the following week.
- Applications are reviewed by community faculty and staff, and current upper class community members.
For questions or concerns concerning Hypatia/Galileo, send an e-mail to DeAnna Katey.