From community college, from another college, from General Engineering
Requirements to apply for admission to Virginia Tech's College of Engineering as a transfer student are:
- 1 full year of calculus (equivalent to VT's MATH 1205-1206 or 1225-1226)
- 1 semester of chemistry (CHEM 1035/1045) or 1 year of calculus-based Physics (PHYS 2305-2306)
- 1 full year of English composition (equivalent to VT's ENGL 1105-1106)
- overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
In addition, we recommend courses in the following areas:
- Linear Algebra (MATH 1114 or 2114, depending on specific desired engineering major. See checksheet link below to determine the required course for your desired major)
- Differential Equations (MATH 2214)
- Multivariable Calculus (MATH 2224 or 2204)
- 1 year of calculus-based Physics (PHYS 2305-2306) or 1 semester of chemistry (CHEM 1035/1045) -- whichever is not completed in requirement above
- Engineering fundamentals courses (ENGE 1024 & 1114 or 1215-1216)
Transfer students are admitted to General Engineering (GE) by the admissions office. The process of changing majors from GE to a specific engineering major can take place after 12 credit hours of A-F course work is completed at Virginia Tech, and all required courses for change of major are completed.
- January 15 deadline for international students, and February 15 deadline for domestic students for summer or fall admission.
- We do not accept applications for the spring semester.
The only college-level scholarship available to incoming transfer students is the Leo A. Padis Scholarship. This award is available only to Engineering Associate Degree graduates of the Virginia Community College System. Awards are $1000 and are merit based. Applications will be available here for new transfer students starting summer or fall 2017. Application deadline is June 1, 2017. Any other scholarship opportunities should be discussed with the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
- For the transfer application process, please see the Admissions website.
- Degree-requirements (checksheets) for every engineering major
- Information if you are transferring from a Virginia Community College.
- If you are transferring from another university or college (not a Virginia Community College) within the United States, you may view our on-line Transfer Equivalency Database to see how your courses may transfer to Virginia Tech. We do not have a database for international credits.
- Computer requirement for students in the college of engineering (including transfer students).
- Current tuition rates under the Student section of the Bursar's website.
Students wishing to change out of engineering should review the Out of Engineering website for the steps and procedures necessary for their college of interest.