Virginia Tech®home

Student Withdrawal or Resignation

Students wishing to resign or withdraw from all classes in a term will complete this form. The term withdraw is used when this request is submitted prior to the first day of classes; after the first day of classes this process is called a resignation.

Steps to submitting a withdrawl or resignation form:

  1. The date you obtain the Dean's signature will be the effective date used for its processing, and any refund (if applicable) will be awarded based on that effective date and according to the refund schedule established by the Bursar’s office. Refund schedules are particular to specific semesters. Please see for refund information.
  2. If you are a student living off-campus, once you turn in this form, the COE Academic Affairs office will sign the form ( using the effective date on which it was received) and submit the original form to the Registrar’s office for processing.
  3. If you are a student living on-campus, once the COE Academic Affairs office signs theform, you must take the original and schedule a check-out time from your residence hall room with your RA and obtain their signature on the form. Once that is complete, you must take the original form to the Registrar’s office for processing (2nd floor, Student Services Building).
  4. If you are a member of the Corp of Cadets, you must also have the Commandant sign the form, then you must submit the form to the Registrar’s office for processing (
  5. If you are an International Student, you should meet with the Cranwell International Center to see how this resignation may affect your visa status and your ability to remain in or return to this country.
  6. If you received financial aid for the semester you are planning to resign we strongly suggest you meet with your financial aid counselor prior to making this decision, as the disbursement of aid you received will be impacted (i.e. a portion of this aid may be expected to be returned immediately, not 6 months after graduation).
  7. If you have any questions about the resignation you need to speak with Christi Boone,

Withdrawal/Resignation Form