This travel is handled at the departmental level in most cases.
CISI (Cultural Insurance Services International)
- This is the travel insurance that all travelers must be covered by while traveling abroad with university programs or business.
STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program)
- "The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate." Non-U.S. citizens should check with their embassies about possible similar programs.
- Is your passport valid for six months from the date of return?
- Is a visa required?
- Are any immunizations needed for travel? If so, how far in advance?
- Is your emergency contact in Banner up to date?
Travel Requirement Procedures:
Step 1: Enroll in the CISI insurance. To obtain the Virginia Tech rate, use this code: VTH-OTHER. If dependents are traveling with you, please see note under Step 3.
Step 2: After you know the amount to be paid for CISI, you should submit a TA (travel authorization):
- Go to Travel and Expense Management Application
- On the right hand side of the page, click on Travel and Expense Management Login
- Click on the green button that says Manage Travel Reports
- Click on the tab that says Expense Manager
- Click on Authorization Reports
- Click on New on top bar next to Authorization Report Actions and follow directions
Note: It is possible that someone (a delegate) in your department may be authorized to submit a travel authorization for you. To find out, talk to the business manager in your department. If you prefer to submit the travel authorization yourself but need assistance, call the Controller’s Office at 540-231-0944.
Step 3: After the travel authorization is submitted, you will receive an email from Randy Penson in the Global Education Office acknowledging the travel and giving travel information. The Hokie Sentinel Global Travel Assessment may be attached to this email but is NOT required for this type of travel.
Note: The travel authorization should be submitted at least 30 days prior to travel. If you are submitting the travel authorization with less than 30 days before travel, it is a good idea to send an email to Randy Penson to give him a heads-up.
If a spouse or dependent child is traveling with you, contact Randy Penson (after doing the Travel Authorization) to find out how to sign them up for the Cultural Insurance Services International insurance.