College approved credit bearing faculty-led programs requirements. The instructions on this page correspond to college approved credit bearing faculty-led programs whose participants are ready to begin the requirements to travel abroad.
"The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate." Non-U.S. citizens should check with their embassies about possible similar programs.
This is the spreadsheet that must be filled out for any travel that involves a student. There are three tabs that correspond to different types of trips: "Faculty Led Group for Credit," "Group Travel Non Credit," and "Individual Student Abroad."
A card each traveler will receive that has appropriate emergency contact information for their trip and destination. The Global Education Office will provide the cards based on information given to them by the faculty-leader. The guidelines are on the assessment. Note: The primary contact on the emergency contact card can be whomever the faculty leader chooses.
1. Are the passports for all travelers valid for six months from the date of return?
2. Is a visa required for U.S. travelers? Is a visa required for international student travelers?
3. Are any immunizations needed for travel? If so, how far in advance?
4. Check Banner to make sure faculty emergency contact information is updated. If you are traveling with a faculty spouse, do you have a third emergency contact listed?
5. If a third party is involved, the Legal Office must review the contract before beginning.
Faculty-Led Group For-Credit Leader Pre-Departure Checklist
- The Hokie Sentinel Global Travel Assessment for summer and fall programs are due to Randy Penson no later than October 15 prior to program start date.
- The Hokie Sentinel Global Travel Assessment for winter and spring programs are due to Randy Penson no later than March 15 prior to program start date (or immediately following course approval for wintermester if after March 15).
Note: Once the Hokie Sentinel Global Travel Assessment is sent in to Global Education Office, contact Rachel Fitzgerald to set up the program in their system. Discuss the financial agreement with her and if you want them to have and keep a copy of the flight itineraries. A fund will be set up after the assessment is approved by the Global Education Office.
Travel Requirement Procedures
Step 1: Faculty Leader completes and follows the guidance of the Hokie Sentinel Global Travel Assessment. Contact Randy Penson for the form. One assessment is completed for the group.
Step 2: Follow the directions on the Hokie Sentinel Global Travel Assessment to sign up for Cultural Insurance Services International travel-medical insurance and Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.
Note: The Global Education Office will enroll participants in the Cultural Insurance Services International insurance: Fill out the Faculty-Led Travel Insurance Enrollment Spreadsheet (passworded, please email Randy Penson for password) and follow the instructions to upload.
If any dependents are traveling, email Randy Penson
Step 3: The following forms are submitted by the students through the Global Education's Studio Abroad sign in once the program is created:
- Voluntary Health Disclosure
- University-approved Program Liability Agreement
- Undergraduate Honor and Student Conduct Records Release Waiver
- Refund/Cancellation and Financial Agreement Policy
- Travel Warning Informed Consent (if applicable)
- Color copy of passport and U.S. visa page for non-U.S. citizens